The Communications team covers all audiences including the media and individuals and groups, both inside and outside the Church. We offer advice and assistance in strategy and delivery over the full range of media relations, internal communications, public affairs and publications.
You are welcome to contact us at any time if we can help you in any way. Where to get help and who to contact are listed below.
Who to contact | Communications Planning | Communications Guidance Notes | Copyright | Crest | Database | Directory | Electronic Bulletins | Events | Filming and Photography | Media Relations | The Month | Noticeboards | Parish Magazines | Parliamentary Relations | Press Releases | Promotions | Social Media | Training | Video Clip Production | Websites
If you cannot find what you are looking for here or would prefer to talk to someone, you are welcome to contact the Communications Director.
Tel: 01245 294424
Pager: 07654 382674
Barking Episcopal Area
Contact the Bishop of Barking's office tel 020 8509 7377.
Bradwell Episcopal Area
Contact the Bishop of Bradwell's office tel 01375 673806.
Contact Sarah Newman tel 01245 294443.
Colchester Episcopal Area
Contact the Bishop of Colchester's Office tel 01206 576648.
Have you considered drafting a communications plan?
A communications plan will help you to communicate with a purpose in a clear, consistent, concise and credible way while making efficient use of use of scarce resources.
For advice contact Ralph Meloy, Communications Director on 01245 294424.
Chelmsford Diocese has produced guidance notes for parishes to give an overview of the key skills and knowledge needed to start developing communications work in their churches.
- Media Relations - Writing a Press Release
- Parish Websites
- Church Notice Boards
- Parish Print and Publications
- Introduction to Social Media
- A Beginner’s Guide to Making Video Clips
- Handling the Media at High-Profile Funerals and Memorial Services
For information and advice about complying with copyright requirements for playing and performing music, showing films, and publishing work online please refer to our briefing note and contact Christian Copyright Licensing International (CCLI).
Add or edit your record on the diocesan database - contact the Directory team tel 01245 294437.
Add or edit your record in our printed and online directories - contact the Directory team tel 01245 294437.
We email a monthly e-bulletin to everyone on the diocesan database. We send a separate e-bulletin to parish magazine editors. Send information and feedback to the Communications team on 01245 294443.
Advertise your event in our printed and online calendars - firstname.lastname@example.org 01245 294447.
Get advice on applications for commercial filming, photography and sound recording.
Publicise events, comings and goings etc in your church by containing your local newspaper, radio or tv station. Find your local media at www.mediauk.com.
Get advice on promoting your church in the media www.cofe.anglican.org/news/comms/advicemedia.html.
Find out about a journalist who has contacted you www.journalisted.com/list.
Get advice and assistance on handling the media in an emergency - call 24 hour pager 07654 382674 and leave your name, telephone number and a brief message. You will be called back.
Subscribe, or change a subscription or a delivery address email@example.com tel 01245 294443.
Buy advertising space from Cornerstone tel 01752 225623.
Contact the editor of 'Cycle of Prayer' (part of NB), Revd Bill Howes: firstname.lastname@example.org tel 01376 561826
Get external advice on editing a parish magazine:
Monitor MPs and Peers. Sign up for free Alerts about Parliamentarians or topics you are interested in.
- See Communications Guidance Notes for Parishes (above).
- A template for a parish press release to announce your new vicar can be downloaded here.
Get advice on how to get your church noticed www.getyourchurchnoticed.com.
Read our advice on social media - Find out about different social media platforms and how to get started.
Like us and Follow us:
• Facebook: www.facebook.com/chelmsdio
• Facebook: www.facebook.com/askanarchdeacon
• Twitter: @chelmsdio
• Twitter: @cottrellstephen
• Twitter: @peterhill92
• Twitter @johnwraw
• Twitter: @bishcolchester
• Twitter: @Annetteacooper
• Twitter: @ChelmsDiocEd
• Twitter: @SparrowsNursery
• Pinterest: @chelmsdio
• Faith in Action blog: www.faith-in-action.org.uk
• YouTube: www.youtube.com/ChelmsfordDiocese
• Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/chelmsford-diocese
• AudioBoom: www.audioboom.com/CottrellStephen
• SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/chelmsdio
• Periscope: get the free app from the App Store and follow us @chelmsdio
Recommended reading from our Bookshop tel 01245 294405:
- "How to be Heard in a Noisy World - Church publicity made easy" by Phil Creighton published by Authentic Media.
- "100 Ways to Get Your Church Noticed" by Neil Pugmire published by Kingsway Publications.
Email Ralph Meloy, Communications Director or call 01245 294424 for specific requests.
Get advice on parish websites from our web designer James Cottis.
A guidance note on creating a church website can be found here.
Find suggestions on the National Church website: http://www.churchofengland.org/media-centre/engage-with-us-online/cofe-news-on-your-website.aspx.
How to use your church's free page on Church Near You and get support: email@example.com.
Make a suggestion about our website: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Transforming Presence: www.transformingpresence.org.uk
- Bishop Stephen: www.stephencottrell.org
- Saltshaker: www.saltshaker.org.uk
- Schools, children and young people: www.cdbe.org.uk
- Sparrows child care: www.sparrowschildcare.co.uk
- Our Offering: www.ouroffering.org
If you cannot find what you are looking for here or would prefer to talk to someone, you are welcome to contact our Communications Director, Ralph Meloy.
For more information please contact Ralph Meloy
Did you find what you were looking for or have any comments?