Transforming the communities of Essex & East London through Christ’s presence

This page provides useful employment information for Parochial Church Councils (PCCs) and their members.

PCCs and their responsibilities as employers

As independent charities, PCCs are responsible for their own employment decisions and actions.

ACAS produce a guide for small employers entitled: “Employing people: a handbook for small firms”. This offers useful advice on matters relating to employment. 

Find out more at:

Information and advice for small organisations relating to the payment of wages can be found on the ACAS website at:

Changes to PAYE in 2013

On 6 April 2013 the reporting arrangements for employers operating Pay As You Earn (PAYE) changed. Employers are now required to provide Real Time Information (RTI) – to notify HMRC on each occasion that payment is made to an employee.

To help determine the tax status of individuals within your church, the Diocesan Secretaries Liaison Group has put together a short guide for PCCs, which can be downloaded below. 

HMRC also provides guidance for ‘local religious centres’ on employment tax issues for PCCs not registered with HMRC and seeking to employ an individual below the national insurance lower earnings limit:

Further information and advice is available from the Parish Resources website:

Auto Enrolment

The Pensions Act 2008 introduced new rules for workplace pensions in the UK. These changes affect every workplace and make sure that every worker will have a chance to save for their retirement. Under the new rules, every employer will have to give their workers the opportunity to join a workplace pension scheme that meets certain standards.

Further information can be found at the Pension Regulator website:  

The Government has set up NEST who provide employers with access to workplace pensions. Further information can be found at:

The Church of England Pension Board has produced a factsheet with frequently asked questions, which can be found at:

Church of England Pensions Factsheet

Other sources of advice include: 

  • The Government’s advice to employers through the Business Link website:
  • The Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service (ACAS) which aims to improve organisations and working life through better employment relations. Their website is:

Acas provide a free and confidential helpline for support and advice about any kind of dispute or query about relationship issues within the workplace: employment rights and rules, best practice or advice about a dispute.

The helpline is available Monday-Friday, 8am-8pm and Saturday, 9am-1pm - 08457 47 47 47.

For more information please contact Rachel Towns
Is there anything wrong with this page?