The IME Phase 2 Programme for newly ordained assistant curates is organised by the CMD Advisers on behalf of the bishops.
Each Area Adviser supports and works with training incumbents and curates in their Episcopal Area.
The IME Phase 2 Co-ordinator, Andy Griffiths, arranges an annual programme of training days and an annual residential weekend.
The bishops are clear that participation is mandatory, and must be given the highest priority.
Following the report Formation for ministry within a Learning Church (commonly known as the ‘Hind Report’) curacy is now viewed as the completion of Initial Ministerial Training, and is referred to as ‘IME Phase 2’.
- Handbook for Curates and Training Incumbents 2015 edition 2016 edition 2017 edition 2018 edition
- Handbook, 2019 edition: Part I for everyone , Part II for curates, Part II for newly licensed Lay Ministers
- Diocesan IME 2 Programme 2019-2020
- Curacy Agreement template
- Outline of the process to draft a Curacy Agreement
- Outline of the process to draft a Training & Development plan
- Tool to map Formation Criteria with a Training & Development plan
- Mileage to parish boundry form
- Two sample written theological reflections
- Template for record of supervision meetings with Training Incumbent
- Template for record of Parish Project
- Template for record of IME 2 and other training
- Template to record books read
- Two specimen Training Incumbent reports for Curate assessment
- Sermon assessment form (1)
- Sermon assessment form (2)
- Sample Portfolio contents page
The Training Incumbent
Most training and learning in the first four years takes place in the home parish and with the support and encouragement of the training incumbent. Regular meetings of incumbent and curate for supervision and reflection are a key element of the training relationship.
Clergy identified by the bishops as training incumbents are required to attend a residential training event. For more details contact Revd Canon Andy Griffiths, tel 01245 294446.
To find out more about the qualities that bishops look for in a training incumbent please see the Handbook for Curates and Training Incumbents.
The Training Context
The bishops seek to place curates in contexts which will recognise that the curacy is a time of continued formation and training.
The Handbook for Curates and Training Incumbents also gives guidelines for contexts receiving a Curate. From 2019, these contexts will be Mission and Ministry Units or emerging MMUs.