Prayers for those affected
The thoughts and prayers of everyone at Chelmsford Diocese are with those affected by the Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak around the world. We pray for those who care for the sick, for those who are combatting the spread of the virus and for those who are worried about friends and loved ones.
Guidance from the Diocese of Chelmsford
On 4 January, the Prime Minister announced a new national lockdown across England.
The accompanying Government guidance states that ‘you can leave home to attend or visit a place of worship for communal worship’ during the lockdown period.
However, we continue to be the worst hit area of the country and our hospitals are now under extraordinary pressure. We must do all that we can to protect the most vulnerable in our communities and the NHS.
We therefore strongly advise that all services should move online (with no congregation physically present). The only exception to this is funerals. We also advise that any face to face meetings take place by other means or are cancelled.
Further guidance and support from the Diocese of Chelmsford:
- Detailed Guidance and FAQs
- Online Church: Guidance, Resources Webinars and Links to Online Worship
- Examples of our churches serving their communities during the pandemic from our 12 Days of Christmas campaign
- Giving and Finance Guidance and Resources
Keeping up to date
The Diocese of Chelmsford is sending regular updates about Coronavirus (COVID-19) in our email bulletins. Please sign up here.
Clergy, Church Wardens LLMs, LLWs and Lay Chairs receive additional advice and guidance by email.
In addition, our Archdeacons speak regularly with Area Deans about the the implications of Coronavirus in their own areas. These meetings then feed back to a central Diocesan Communications Group who are overseeing the diocesan response, communications and support for parishes. The group meets weekly and consists of Bishop Peter, the Diocesan Secretary, two of our Archdeacons, the Diocesan Director of Communications and the Director of Operations at Chelmsford Cathedral.
- Church of England Coronavirus guidance and FAQs
- Government Guidance for places of worship
- NHS website - For medical advice, including advice on symptoms and self isolation, please use the NHS website.