Undertaking any sort of work on our church building can present a whole host of challenges, understanding what can be done and how will make this easier. Research is key to ensuring a successful project.
The following presentation, from the recent Planning and Fundraising for Capital Projects Event, helps to explain the work of the Development Directorate and how, alongside advice from Archdeacons, the DAC and Faculty regulations, it can help you with your building project.
Download Presentation (Powerpoint)
We have gathered a number of resources here to help you gain a good understanding of this.
- Online architectural magazine specialising in church buildings
- CofE website offering advice on church buildings
- A website written by an architect who specialises in church adaptions & works, often used by Chelmsford Diocese
- Diocesan DAC web pages
- Church Care ‘Making Changes’ website; the C of E’s resource for all things building
- Advice on setting up a friends scheme in your parish which enables people to help with the maintenance of the church buildings
- Good all round advice on church building maintenance
- A resource from the National Churches Trust
- The Princes Foundation
- Church Building Projects
- Churchcare - Developing Church Buildings
- Crossing the Threshold Toolkit - Practical advice and information on church development projects available on the Hereford Diocese website
We would advise you to contact the DAC Office very early in the process to see whether a faculty will be needed to undertake the work.
Further information regards the DAC can be found on their web pages.
The following pages offer a wide range of advice:
- Developing Parish Projects; Initial Advice
- Identifying & Managing Risks
- Custodian Trustee Approval Questions
- Advice on Funding your project can be viewed on the Money page
This downloadable spreadsheet contains a list of organisations that offer funding and grants for a wide range of activities and works.
You can search by selecting one of the categories to bring up the relevant fund providers.
The Diocese of London have created a directory of over 60 Trades Professional, covering all manner of works.
Is there anything wrong with this page?