Many people in the diocese find that their spiritual life is enhanced by use of a spiritual director. This is especially true for professional ministers
The Spiritual Direction Coordinating Group aims to promote the ecumenical ministry of spiritual direction within the areas of Essex and East London covered by the Dioceses of Chelmsford and Brentwood. A list of known directors is regularly up-dated and is held by each member of the Coordinating Group.
Module Course in Spiritual Companionship
The following Modules are being offered in the autumn 2018 and spring 2019
Spiritual Companionship and the Christian Tradition
This modules focuses on the ways in which the Christian spiritual tradition resources us as Christian disciples and our sharing in the ministry of Spiritual Direction. The module weaves together some input, some personal reflection and some small group discussion and exercise in deep listening and discernment. Each session begins and ends with a time of prayer.
- The Single Eye/Luminous eyes, the Prayer of the Heart through the lives of the Desert Tradition and Eastern Fathers.
- Solitude and Community through the lives of The Western Fathers especially Augustine and Benedict and later Thomas Merton.
- Spiritual Friendship through the lives of Aelred and Bernard of Clairvaux and Teresa of Avila, Wesley’s class meetings and The Society of Friends.
- Christocentric and Eucharistic ( Living Eucharistically) through the lives of Francis and Claire of Assisi and Mother Julia.
- Kataphatic and Apophatic through the lives of Teresa of Avila and John of Cros
- Discernment through the life of Ignatius Loyola
Tuesday October 2, 2018.
Tuesday October 9, 2018.
Tuesday October 16, 2018.
Tuesday October 23, 2018.
Tuesday October 30, 2018.
Tuesday November 6, 2018.
All but one session will be at the Diocesan Office ( one will be held at another Chelmsford venue)
Each session will run from 6.00 pm - 8.00 pm
Cost £30 for whole module (includes all resources)
Spiritual Companionship and the Big Life Questions
This Module looks at the ‘big life questions’ through the lens of being a spiritual companion. The undergirding question is whether we are life fixers or life servants. The module weaves together some input, some personal reflection and some small group discussion and exercise in deep listening and discernment. Each session begins and ends with a time of prayer.
- Life fixers of Life Servant
- Will you say one for me?
- Where is God when I need Him?
- Why do things have to change
- Who on earth am I?
- Where to I belong?
Saturday 6 October and Saturday 13 October venue in Chelmsford
cost £30 for whole module ( includes all resources).
Spiritual Companionship and the Scriptures
This module focuses on the ways in which the Scriptures resource us as Christian disciples and our sharing in the ministry of Spiritual Direction. The module weaves together some input, some personal reflection and some small group discussion and exercise in deep listening and discernment. Each session begins and ends with a time of prayer.
- For whom are you looking?’ (John 18:4) We explore God’s seeking of us and our response.
- ‘Who do you say that I am?’ (Mark 8:29). We explore how we relate to God by ‘name’ and by ‘metaphor’‘
- Who touched me?’ (Mark 5:31) We explore the way in which God ‘touches’ our lives.
- ‘Do you believe this? (John 11:26) We explore the way we name question of faith.
- Do you want to be healed?’ (John 5:6) We explore what happens when God challenges us to be transformed.
- Do you love me more than these?’ (John 21:15) We explore the way in which God who is love asks us to abide in his love and abound in fruit.
Tuesday 15 January, 2019.
Tuesday 22 January, 2019.
Tuesday 29 January, 2019.
Tuesday 5 February, 2019.
Tuesday 12 February, 2019.
Tuesday 19 February, 2019.
Chelmsford Diocesan Office.
Each session lasts 6.00 pm - 8.00 pm.
Cost £30 for whole Module (includes all resources).
To book a place or to get further information please contact Revd Ann Coleman email@example.com 01277 821366.
Exploring Christian Spirituality
The Course from The London Centre for Spiritual Direction aims to help people reflect on their own spiritual journey; learn about different ways of praying; develop their own spirituality; introduce them to the art of Spiritual Direction; help integrate spirituality and life; learn about some of the great traditions of Christian Spirituality (eg. Desert, Benedictine, Franciscan, Carmelite, etc.) and reflect on biblical themes and insights into life in the Spirit.
It runs on Mondays (2.00 pm - 4.45 pm) from October 15, 2018 to April 8, 2019 It will be a simple, non-academic course open to people of all faith traditions and none who are interested in exploring the tradition of Christian Spirituality.
The Course will offer opportunities to work in small and large groups; provide a reflective approach in which to explore; provide opportunities of individual tutoring where required, and provide a weekly period of meditation. It will run by John-Francis Friendship APS and Nicola Mason.
Details of the Course are available via: www.lcsd.org.uk/events/exploring-christian-spirituality
or from The London Centre for Spiritual Direction, Church of St. Edmund the King, Lombard Street, London, EC3V 9EA. Tel: 020 7621 1392. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information please contact Ann Coleman
Did you find what you were looking for or have any comments?