The new parish share scheme for 2023
This web page provides support and information for parishes about the new parish share scheme that was approved by the Chelmsford Diocesan Synod in June 2022 following an extensive diocesan consultation. The web page includes the following:
- An introduction to the new parish share scheme by Bishop Guli
- The 2023 parish share scheme explained
- Further guidance and information:
- Good practice and materials from deaneries and parishes
- Order your free Parish Share 2023 leaflets
I am very grateful to the many people in parishes across our diocese who contributed to the consultation and discussions that helped us develop this new approach to parish share.
I know parish share has been a cause of frustration in Chelmsford Diocese over the years, as it has in many others. I'm aware in particular that there was a sense of injustice and a concern about a lack of transparency in the previous share scheme. I hope that the scale of participation and quality of conversation during the consultation has allowed us to understand these concerns and address them for the future.
Our booklet, Parish Share 2023, Frequently Asked Questions, provides an explanation of how the new scheme works, the values that underpin the approach and how it will work for your parish and deanery.
Click the questions below to read the answers to these frequently asked questions about the parish share scheme:
- How to read your detailed deanery assessment
- Parish Share phase 1 consultation report
- Diocesan Budget 2023, Diocesan Synod paper
- Parish Share Proposal to the June 2022 Diocesan Synod
- Detailed explanations:
In this section we will be sharing materials and ideas that have been used in deaneries to support the implementation of the new parish share scheme and in particular to encourage and enable mutual support between parishes. If you have materials or ideas that you would like to share, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Colchester Deanery Materials
Thank you to colleagues in Colchester Deanery for sharing a Powerpoint presentation and leaflet that was used to support their initial deanery meeting. about the new parish share scheme. They are happy for other deaneries to adapt these resources for their own use.
- Deanery Meeting Powerpoint Presentation (including agenda)
- Deanery Meeting Power Point Presentation (including agenda) as PDF. *
- Deanery Parish Share leaflet
*This PDF version of the presentation may be useful for those without Powerpoint or where the Powerpoint presentation isn't displaying as it should.
- Generous God, Generous Disciples- finance, stewardship and giving guidance and resources from Chelmsford Diocese
- Stewardship and Giving Resources and Guidance from the Church of England
- Parish Resources from the Church of England
Parishes can order a free leaflet for distribution with their church community. The leaflet explains the new parish share scheme, its underpinning values and how essential it is to supporting local parish mission and ministry in our diocese. The flyer also contains links to online resources. The first 100 copies of the leaflet are free for each parish, with a small cost for additional copies.