Transforming the communities of Essex & East London through Christ’s presence

Click on a link below to take you to the relevant section

Reporting a Concern, Allegation or Disclosure

  • If you are concerned that a child or adult might be in immediate danger, or requires urgent medical attention, call the emergency services on 999.  Do not delay.

  • To contact your local police station to report a non-emergency crime please call 101.

  • If you have a safeguarding concern, allegation or disclosure please call the Diocesan Duty number (01245 29 44 44). If we cannot answer your call straight away please leave an answerphone message with your name and phone number so that we can call you back.

Contact your PSO (Parish Safeguarding Officer)

The contact details for your PSO (Parish Safeguarding Officer) should be on the A3 Safeguarding poster on your church notice board and also on your parish website.

Contact details for the DST (Diocesan Safeguarding Team)

  • If you have a general query/question, and you cannot find the answer on this website, please contact Lynda Saunders and/or Laura Tyler. Please be aware that we are currently running a skeleton service in our office at the moment, due to Covid-19, therefore it is recommended that you contact us via email. We apologies in advance for any delay that you might experience whilst awaiting our response. We appreciate your patience during these challenging times.
  • If you have a safeguarding concern/allegation/disclosure please call the Duty Number (01245 29 44 44). If we cannot answer your call straight away please leave an answerphone message with your name and phone number so that we can call you back.

Lynda Saunders - Safeguarding Assistant
Tel: 01245 294490 (Weekdays, Office hours)

Laura Tyler - Safeguarding Administrator 
Tel: 01245 294438 (Tuesdays & Fridays 9:30am-3pm)

Liam Sainsbury - Safeguarding Case Worker
Tel: 01245 294479  (Weekdays, Office hours)

Danielle Law - Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser
Tel: 01245 294472  (Weekdays, Office hours)

Amanda Goh - Safeguarding Manager & DSA (Diocesan Safeguarding Advisor)
Tel: 01245 294457 (Weekdays, Office hours)

Address: The DST, Diocesan Office, 53 New Street, Chelmsford, Essex CM1 1AT

Contact details for Safeguarding Organisations/Charities:

Download our list of Contact details for Safeguarding Organisations/Charities

Action on Elder Abuse
UK Charity addressing elder abuse within people's own homes (whether by family, friends or paid staff), within sheltered housing, and within care homes and hospitals< br/>
Tel: 0808 808 8141

Anne Craft Trust
Supporting organisations to safeguard disabled children and adults at risk and minimise risk of harm
Tel: 0115 9515 400

Centre for Action on Rape and Abuse
CARA is a confidential support service for women and young people who have been raped, sexually abused or assaulted either recently or in the past by a stranger, friend or family member.
Tel: 01206 769795

Child Exploitation and Online Protection
Tel: 0870 000 3344

Helpline for children
Tel: 0800 1111

A single point of access helpline to support victims of domestic abuse across Southend, Essex and Thurrock.
Tel: 0330 333 7444

Charity that you can contact anonymously with information about crime
Tel: 0800 555 111

Eighteen and under
Offers confidential support and information to any young person aged 18 and under who has experienced sexual, physical or emotional abuse.
Tel: 0800 731 40 80

Essex County Fire & Rescue Service
Home Safety Team: Trained officers will visit the home of anyone living in Essex and offer advice based on individual needs. 
Tel: 0300 303 0088
Checklist for Person-Centred Home Safety Risk Assessment

Essex Police: Child sexual exploitation
For anyone with concerns about child sexual exploitation and concerns about young people being exploited.
Tel: 01245 452058 (This hotline is open Monday to Friday between 8am and 4pm and you can leave a voicemail outside of these hours. You can speak to Essex Police directly about your concerns and they’ll be on hand to offer advice and take reports that help them investigate crimes).
In an emergency always dial 999

Essex Police: Domestic Abuse Central Referral Unit (CRU)
You don’t have to be experiencing domestic abuse yourself to report it. You can call if you’re worried about a friend, relative, colleague or neighbour.
Tel: 101 extension 180340 (CRU)
Tel: 0800 358 0351 (dedicated domestic abuse non-emergency number)
In an emergency always dial 999

The LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Trans*) & anti-violence charity that supports those that have experienced hate crime, sexual violence or domestic abuse.
Tel: 0800 999 5428

The Havens
The Havens are centres in London for people who have been raped or sexually assaulted in the past 12 months.
Tel: 020 3299 1599 (general enquiries and non-urgent information)
Tel: 020 3299 6900 (This urgent advice/appointments number is for you if you’ve been raped or sexually assaulted recently and you need first-time support or advice, or an appointment in the next few hours for a forensic medical examination.)

Hoarding UK
UK-wide charity solely dedicated to supporting people affected by hoarding behaviours.
Tel: 020 3239 1600 (10:00-17:00 Monday-Friday)

UK charity committed to keeping children safe from harm or abuse
Tel: 0845 120 520

London Fire Brigade
If you know someone who lives in home that has become hoarded and you are concerned book a home fire safety visit.
Tel: 0800 028 4428

The Lucy Faithfull Foundation
A UK-wide child protection charity dedicated solely to preventing child sexual abuse. Working with entire families that have been affected by sexual abuse including: young people with inappropriate sexual behaviours; adult male and female sexual abusers; victims of abuse and other family members.
Tel: 0808 1000 900 (Stop it Now! Helpline)

Minister & Clergy Sexual Abuse Survivors
Tel: 08088 01 03 40

Mankind UK
Charity that offers support, advice and counselling for male victims of sexual abuse, assault, rape or violence
Tel: 01823 334244

Men’s Advice Line
A confidential helpline for men experiencing domestic violence from a partner or ex-partner (or from other family members)
Tel: 0808 801 0327

Modern Slavery Helpline
The UK Modern Slavery Helpline and Resource Centre provides victims, the public, statutory agencies and businesses access to information and support on a 24/7 basis.
Tel: 0800 0121 700

Supports all non-abusing parents and carers whose children have been sexually abused
Tel: 0800 980 1958

National Association of People Abused in Childhood. Charity offering support to adult survivors of all types of childhood abuse
Tel: 0808 801 0331

National Domestic Violence Helpline
Run in partnership between Women's Aid and Refuge, is a national service for women experiencing domestic violence, their family, friends, colleagues and others calling on their behalf 
Tel: 0808 2000 247

National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children
Tel: 0808 800 5000

NSPCC FGM (Female genital mutilation) Helpline
Call the FGM helpline if you're worried a child is at risk of, or has had, FGM. It's free and anonymous.
Tel: 0800 028 3550

NSPCC Whistleblowing Advice Line
The Whistleblowing Advice Line offers free advice and support to professionals with concerns about how child protection issues are being handled in their own or another organisation.
Tel: 0800 028 0285

Rape and Sexual Assault Abuse Support Centre
Provides a national helpline for female and male survivors, partners, friends and family.
Tel: 0800 802 9999

Rape Crisis England & Wales
How to get help if you've experienced rape, child sexual abuse or any kind of sexual violence
Tel: 0808 802 9999

Providing a range of services for abused women and children
Tel: 0808 2000 247

Respect Phoneline
A confidential helpline for perpetrators of domestic violence looking for help to stop 
Tel: 0808 802 4040

To lessen the effect of trauma and abuse on people with learning disabilities, their families and supporters. 
Tel: 0207 383 0700

Metropolitan Police website for young people and adults alike, giving advice and support on all forms of online abuse. From cyberbullying and sexting to social media stalking and online grooming.

Safer Places
An independent charity which provides a comprehensive range of services to adults and children affected by all forms of Domestic Abuse 
Tel: 03301 025811

Safe Spaces was launched in September 2020 and is a FREE and independent service run by the charity Victim Support and funded by the Church of England together with the Catholic Church in England and Wales and the Church in Wales.

It offers confidential support to survivors of church-related abuse (anyone who has been abused by someone in the Church or as a result of their relationship with the Church of England, the Catholic Church of England and Wales or the Church in Wales) whether or not a report has been made.

Tel: 0300 303 1056 (answerphone available outside of opening times)
WebChat - via the Safe Spaces website

Opening Hours: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday: 10.00am- 6.00pm. Thursday: 12.00pm- 8.00pm CLOSED on Sundays.

Below are resources to display in your church and to provide as hand-outs:

Please see their website for more information:


The Salvation Army
The Salvation Army provides support for anyone who suspects that they, or someone they have come across, might be a victim of modern slavery in need of help.
Tel: 0300 3038 151 (confidential Referral Helpline)

Charity you can talk to off the record about whatever’s getting to you. You don't have to be suicidal to call the Samaritans
Tel: 116 123

South Essex Rape and Incest Crisis Centre (SERICC)
SERICC is a charity that provides specialist services any individual who has or who is experiencing any form of sexual violence at any time in their life. You can also phone if you are worried about your child, someone else in your family, or someone you know.
Tel: 01375 381322

Help for anyone who wants to prevent abuse - including if you are worried about your own actions 
Tel: 0808 100 0900

The Survivors Trust
TST is a national umbrella agency working with women, men and children who are victims/survivors of rape, sexual violence and childhood sexual abuse.
Tel: 0808 801 0818

Survivors UK
To help sexually abused men as well as their friends and family, no matter when the abuse happened.

Survivors Voices
Survivors Voices is a small, national peer-led organisation run by and for adult survivors of abuse and inter-personal trauma* and those who support them.

Victim Support
An independent charity that provides free and confidential support to help people affected by crime or traumatic events get the support they need and the respect they deserve.
Tel: 0845 456 5995

Women’s Aid
Free phone 24 hour National Domestic Abuse Helpline
Tel: 0808 2000 247

Women and Girls’ Network (WGN)
A free, women-only service that supports women in London who have experienced violence, or are at risk of violence.
Tel: 0808 801 0660 (Practical advice and support)
Tel: 0808 801 0770 (Sexual violence helpline)

Contact details for Local Safeguarding Adults Boards

If you are reporting a concern about someone that does NOT hold a role volunteering/working with children and/or adults experiencing, or at risk of abuse or neglect* please contact the relevant Local Safeguarding Adults Board as soon as possible:

* The Care and Support Statutory Guidance issued under the Care Act 2014 (14.2) by the Department of Health replaces the previously used term ‘vulnerable adult’ with ‘adults experiencing, or at risk of abuse or neglect’. A ‘vulnerable adult’ as a person aged 18 or over whose ability to protect himself or herself from violence, abuse, neglect or exploitation is significantly impaired through physical or mental disability or illness, old age, emotional fragility or distress, or otherwise; and for that purpose, the reference to being impaired is to being temporarily or indefinitely impaired.

Barking & Dagenham
Tel: 020 8227 2915 (Adult Social Care Intake and Access Team)
Tel: 020 8594 8356 (Out of Hours Emergency Social Work Duty Team)

Tel: 0345 603 7630 (Adult Social Care Direct)
Tel: 0345 606 1212 (Urgent and 24-hour contact)

Tel: 01708 433 550 (Adult Social Services Safeguarding Adults Team)
Tel: 01708 433999 (Adult Social Care Out of hours)

Tel: 0203 373 0440 (24 hour Safeguarding helpline)
Tel: 020 8430 2000 (Emergency Duty Team – Out of hours)

Tel: 020 8708 7333 (Mon-Fri 9am-5pm)
Tel: 020 8554 5000 (Emergency Duty Team – Out of hours)

Tel: 01702 215008 (Access Team)
Tel: 0845 606 1212 (Out of hours Referrals)

Tel: 01375 652868 (Community Solutions Team)
Tel: 01375 372468 (Out of hours)

Waltham Forest
Tel: 020 8496 3000 (Waltham Forest Direct)

Contact details for Local Safeguarding Children Boards

If you are reporting a concern about someone that does NOT hold a role volunteering/working with children and/or adults experiencing, or at risk of abuse or neglect* please contact the relevant Local Safeguarding Children Board as soon as possible:

* A child is a person under 18 years of age.

Tel: 020 8227 3811 (Assessment Team/MASH Team: Mon-Fri, 9am to 4:45pm)
Tel: 0208 594 8356 (Emergency Duty Team - Out of hours)

Tel: 0345 603 7627 (Children & Families Hub)
Tel: 0345 606 1212 (Urgent and 24-hour contact)

Tel: 01708 433222 (Mon-Fri, 9am to 5pm)
Tel: 01708 433999 (Out of hours emergency)

Tel: 020 3373 4600 (MASH/Triage Team: Mon-Thurs, 9am to 5:15pm or Fri 9am to 5:15pm)
Tel: 020 8430 2000 (Emergency Duty Team - Out of Hours)

Tel: 020 8708 3885 (Child Protection Assessment Team (CPAT) 9:00am to 5:00pm)
Tel: 020 8708 5897 (Emergency Duty Team – Out of hours)

Tel: 01702 215007 (Mon-Thurs: 9am-5:30pm Friday: 9am-4:30pm)
Tel: 0845 606 1212 (Emergency Duty Team - Out of hours)

Tel: 01375 652802 (Thurrock Multi Agency Safeguarding Hub – MASH)
Tel: 01375 372468 (Thurrock Council Emergency Duty Team - Out of hours)

Waltham Forest
Tel: 020 8496 2310 (Mon-Thurs, 9am-5:15pm & Fri 9am-5pm)
Tel: 020 8496 3000 (Waltham Forest Direct - Out of hours)

For more information please contact The Safeguarding Team
Is there anything wrong with this page?

Independent Audit of Safeguarding

An independent audit of safeguarding in the Diocese of Chelmsford was conducted by SCIE in April 2017. This was part of a national programme of audits.

Read the diocesan response to the report.

And the report in full.