The Diocese of Chelmsford has set up a scheme to enable churches to make big savings in repair costs by having their gutters and downpipes regularly serviced by accredited contractors.
The Diocese has set up a scheme to enable churches to make big savings in repair costs by having their gutters and downpipes regularly serviced by accredited contractors.
The scheme is entirely voluntary and parishes can adopt it or not as they wish. Churches deal directly with their chosen contractor.
The scheme works by:
- the church contacting one or more of the accredited contractors and asking for a quotation;
- deciding whether to accept the quotation and if so,
- arranging the visit and paying the contractor.
What the Contractor does:
The contractor will:
- clear out and test all gutters and downpipes
- take before and after digital photos for you
- complete a checklist detailing what he has done
- remove the debris.
Costs and Benefits
The contractor’s quotation is unique to each church, reflecting its size and complexity and what access method he will use.
We expect most quotations to be between £250 and £500 plus VAT. Listed churches can count the VAT towards the VAT recoverable (on bills over £500 a year) under the Listed Places of Worship Scheme: for further information go to: www.lpwscheme.org.uk
The benefits include:
- savings in repair costs
- peace of mind
- savings on other work that could be co-ordinated with a gutter scheme visit (eg high-level electrical work).
The Friends of Essex Churches Trust will give an automatic grant of £50 to the first 100 churches to commission a visit under the scheme.
Details can be found on its web site here www.foect.org.uk
A leaflet describing the Scheme can be downloaded below.
There is also a comprehensive Information Pack which can be downloaded here.
This deals with:
- why the Scheme was set up
- how the Scheme works
- what the contractor does
- how much will it cost – and save?
- similar schemes in other dioceses
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Standard Terms & Conditions & Specification for a Gutter Scheme Visit
For any other queries, please contact:
Malcolm Woods, a member of the Diocesan Advisory Committee, via email or on 07721 768750
The following contractors are accredited on the basis of their experience working with historic buildings, insurance arrangements and health & safety procedures.
Contact any or all of them direct to arrange a quotation.
|Lodge and Sons (Builders) Ltd||
|Michael Newman t/a
Platinum Property Care
26 Oak Street
Office 01708 742234
|MBS Grounds Maintenance Ltd||
16 Boars Tye Road,
|M Y Group||
Fen Lane Farm,
Tel: (01953) 497177
332 Cressing Road
Clohessy Rope Access Ltd
Clohessy Rope Access Ltd
Tel: 01376 512779
Mobile: 07737 440991
|Dendale Construction Ltd||
Dendale Construction Ltd
Tel: 020 8527 5777