Volunteer Charity Development Officer
Location: Diocese of Chelmsford
The Essex Clergy Charity (shortly to be renamed to better reflect its scope and its purpose) is inviting expressions of interest for a development officer to join the secretary (Martin Wood), assistant secretary (Simon Law) and treasurer (Paul Greenland) as an officer of the charity
The Charity exists to alleviate hardship among licensed ministers in the Diocese of Chelmsford (all of which was in Essex when the charity received its charter in 1747)
We give grants under a variety of circumstances
- To licensed ministers at various stages of life: the birth of a child, retirement and at the death of clergy whose last post was in the diocese (these are fixed-sum grants)
- Means-tested grants to help families with e.g. school uniforms, school trips, travel and accommodation for interviews at universities, etc. (open to apply for each summer)
- To the widows of clergy (whose last post was in the diocese) who receive a small gift each Christmas
- The archdeacons distribute grants at their discretion (e.g. to help families go on holiday)
- To assist in emergencies
We assist the single as well as the married, the self-financing as well as those on the Church Commissioners’ payroll, the inner city as well as the rural ministers of our Diocese.
The development officer post is new, so we want to keep the job description as flexible as possible.
Broadly speaking, we are looking for someone who can help us
- In being an ambassador for the charity across the diocese
- In helping devise a strategy to raise the £20k that we currently take out of capital each year
- In rebranding the charity once the changes to name and purpose have been put into effect
In terms of time-commitment, that would be very much up to whoever takes up this post.
The only fixed meetings are the trustees meetings (four times a year), the officers meetings (in between the trustees meetings), the AGM (in October) and a meeting with the archdeacons in January – and it is recognised that, sometimes, other commitments will mean that a meeting cannot be attended
If this interests you, please contact Martin Wood, charity secretary, to discuss it further (01268 552219) email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Vacancy Location: Diocese of Chelmsford
- Website: http://www.essexclergycharity.org.uk/