Priest in Charge of Holy Trinity, Southchurch
This is a parish, to the east of Southend town centre, with an ancient building at its heart, no less than nine schools, and a population of about 13,000. It is predominately residential, with owner occupation mainly in the south and east and a large amount of social housing to the north. More than half the households in the parish are families with children or young people, and retired people make up over a quarter of the population. This parish is in the bottom 10% for deprivation in the Diocese
The nine schools consist of two infant, and two junior schools, a secondary comprehensive, secondary special school and a selective girl’s grammar school as well as a private junior and a private secondary school. We have good relationships with several schools – including taking assemblies, hosting visits from classes to the church and three hold their Christmas concerts at Holy Trinity.
Holy Trinity church is in good repair, parts of which date back to the mid-Twelfth Century. The church is a beautiful building with superb acoustics, which regularly hosts concerts. We have a long choral tradition, with a robed adult choir that sings each Sunday, at the Family Eucharist (CW) and Evensong (BCP).
We would like to establish a fresh vision and strategic plan for the church in order to share God’s love and become a relevant transforming presence.
Our desire is for someone to lead us in responding to the challenges we face:
- Encouraging members of the congregation to utilize their gifts and talents through the building up our faith and deepening our relationship with God
- Re-establishing our Sunday Club and Youth Group to attract more younger worshippers
- Enabling the PCC to develop and implement a plan with achievable goals for the next five years and beyond
- Becoming more visible in our local community and improving our outreach to them, both practically and pastorally
- Reaching out to encourage more people of all ages to worship with us
- Developing stronger links with local schools and our local youth groups
- Maintaining and improving still further the financial security of the parish
- Helping to shape the future of the Mission and Ministry Unit in the east of Southend in conjunction with our neighbouring parishes
Might you be the priest to lead the celebration of our 1200th anniversary in 5 years’ time?
Interviews will be held on Monday, 10 December
An application form can be obtained from the office of the Archdeacon of Southend at The Archdeacon's Lodge, 459 Rayleigh Road, Benfleet SS7 3TH (01268 779345), email firstname.lastname@example.org
Revd Canon Martin Wood, Mission and Ministry Adviser in the Bradwell Area would be happy to have an informal conversation about this vacancy (01268 552219) email email@example.com