Priest in Charge of Holy Trinity, Southchurch
This is a parish, to the east of Southend town centre, with an ancient building at its heart, no less than nine schools, and a population of about 13,000. It is predominately residential, with owner occupation mainly in the south and east and a large amount of social housing to the north. More than half the households in the parish are families with children or young people, and retired people make up over a quarter of the population. This parish is in the bottom 10% for deprivation in the Diocese
The nine schools consist of two infant, and two junior schools, a secondary comprehensive, secondary special school and a selective girl’s grammar school as well as a private junior and a private secondary school. We have good relationships with several schools – including taking assemblies, hosting visits from classes to the church and three hold their Christmas concerts at Holy Trinity.
Holy Trinity church is in good repair, parts of which date back to the mid-Twelfth Century. The church is a beautiful building with superb acoustics, which regularly hosts concerts. We have a long choral tradition, with a robed adult choir that sings each Sunday, at the Family Eucharist (CW) and Evensong (BCP).
We are looking for someone who is able to engage with our church and the wider community, and is looking for a challenge. He or she will value our various styles of worship, and be sympathetic to our traditions but also offer new ideas with sensitivity.
We need someone to lead us, as we…
- Reach out to encourage more people of all ages to worship with us
- Develop stronger links with local schools and our local youth groups
- Become more visible in our local community and improve our outreach to them, both practically and pastorally.
- Re-establish our Sunday Club and Youth Group to attract more younger worshippers
- Encourage members of the congregation to utilize their talents and in partnership with the PCC to develop and implement a plan with achievable and measurable goals to cover the next 3 or 5 years
- Maintain and improve still further the financial security of the parish
- Help shape the future of the Mission and Ministry Unit in the east of Southend in conjunction with our neighbouring parishes
Might you be the priest to lead the celebration of our 1200th anniversary in 5 years’ time?
Interviews will be held on Monday, 10 December
An application form can be obtained from the office of the Archdeacon of Southend at The Archdeacon's Lodge, 459 Rayleigh Road, Benfleet SS7 3TH (01268 779345), email email@example.com
Revd Canon Martin Wood, Mission and Ministry Adviser in the Bradwell Area would be happy to have an informal conversation about this vacancy (01268 552219) email firstname.lastname@example.org