The Diocese of Chelmsford comprises 22 deaneries across the three Episcopal Areas of Barking, Bradwell and Colchester, each with a Lay Chair and an Area Dean.
The Area Dean has responsibilities involving the care of people and church buildings in a Deanery and is appointed by the Diocesan Bishop after consultation with the clergy and lay people of a Deanery. The Area Dean works in partnership with the Deanery Lay Chair.
- Area Deans Job Descripton (updated December 2022)
- Deanery Lay Chair's Job Description and Handbook
The Diocesan Synod has provided rules for Deanery Synods in accordance with the Church Representation Rules. The rules for Deanery Synods can be downloaded from here.
The contact details of our Area Deans can be found on the links below
- Barking Area (Barking & Dagenham Deanery, Epping Forest & Ongar Deanery, Harlow Deanery, Havering Deanery, Newham Deanery, Redbridge Deanery, Waltham Forest Deanery)
- Bradwell Area (Basildon Deanery, Brentwood Deanery, Chelmsford Deanery, Hadleigh Deanery, Maldon & Dengie Deanery, Rochford Deanery, Southend Deanery, Thurrock Deanery)
- Colchester Area (Braintree Deanery, Colchester Deanery, Dunmow & Stansted Deanery, Harwich Deanery, Hinckford Deanery, Saffron Walden Deanery, St Osyth Deanery, Witham Deanery)
A map of our deaneries can be viewed here.