The Diocese of Chelmsford comprises 24 deaneries (or parish clusters) across the three Episcopal Areas of Barking, Bradwell and Colchester, each with a Lay Chair and an Area Dean.
The Area Dean has responsibilities involving the care of people and church buildings in a Deanery and is appointed by the Diocesan Bishop after consultation with the clergy and lay people of a Deanery. The Area Dean works in partnership with the Deanery Lay Chair.
- Area Dean's Job Description and Handbook
- Training for Area Deans
- Deanery Lay Chair's Job Description and Handbook
The Diocesan Synod has provided Standing Orders for the Deanery Synod's in accordance with the Church Representation Rules. The Standing Orders can be downloaded from here.
The contact details of our Area Deans can be found on the links below
- Barking Area (Barking & Dagenham Deanery, Epping Forest & Ongar Deanery, Harlow Deanery, Havering Deanery, Newham Deanery, Redbridge Deanery, Waltham Forest Deanery)
- Bradwell Area (Basildon Deanery, Brentwood Deanery, Chelmsford North Deanery, Chelmsford South Deanery, Hadleigh Deanery, Maldon & Dengie Deanery, Rochford Deanery, Southend Deanery, Thurrock Deanery)
- Colchester Area (Braintree Deanery, Colchester Deanery, Dunmow & Stansted Deanery, Harwich Deanery, Hinckford Deanery, Saffron Walden Deanery, St Osyth Deanery, Witham Deanery)
A map of our deaneries can be viewed here.